English/Chinese with Thai/English subtitles
11 May 2017 — 31 May 2017
Yana is a 24-year-old rural migrant who recently arrived in Chongqing to pursue her “Chinese Dream.” Drawn by the glamor and easy riches of China’s historic real estate boom, she opens a foreigner rental agency designed to help Chinese real estate developers market their new developments. But this business takes a dubious turn as her foreigners are increasingly used in a surreal effort to turn remote rural ghost towns into “globalized booming cities” on the days that outside investors and political leaders visit.
When the inevitable happens and the real estate bubble starts to pop, Yana is forced to sell her company and reassess everything she ever believed in. Filmed over several years, DREAM EMPIRE is at once a gripping personal story and rare on-the-ground chronicle of one of the most critical economic issues of our time.
Festivals and Awards
- Thessaloniki International Documentary Film Festival: won top prize, the Golden Alexander Award.
- Premiered at International Documentary Festival Amsterdam (IDFA).
- Miami Film Festival
- München Documentary Festival, Germany
- Sydney Film Festival, Australia
- Kiev, Docudays UA International Human Rights Film Festival
- Prague, One World Human Rights Film Festival, Czech Republic
Director: David Borenstein
Duration: 73 mins